In the 80’s the Italians made so many rip-offs to Escape from New York and Mad Max that flooded the United States’ video shelves that it caused Congress to pass an official twenty year moratorium on post apocalyptic rip-offs. (Okay, I know in the 90’s Kevin Costner made Waterworld, which was basically Mad Max on the water AND The Postman, which was basically Mad Max on a horse, but you have to remember at that time Costner was so hot at the box office that he had the authority to pull rank on Capitol Hill and make any damn movie he wanted.) Now that the government imposed ban has expired, the British are the first ones to get in on the action with Doomsday, a movie that not only rips off Mad Max and Escape from
Here’s the plot crunch: A deadly plague runs rampant in the
Okay, let’s do a quick rundown on the movies Doomsday rips off from:
1. Escape from
2. Mad Max: A rouge cop fights post apocalyptic crazies who wear their hair in Mohawks and dress in S & M gear who get their kicks by providing spectacles of death and pass it off as “entertainment”. JUST LIKE IN MAD MAX! We also get the thrilling car chases across a barren wasteland where the hero turns a bunch of bad guys’ vehicles into scrap metal. JUST LIKE IN MAD MAX!
3. 28 Days Later: A virus turns people into blood spewing flesh eating crazies. CHECK. The government walls up the city to contain them. GOTCHA.
4. Resident Evil: A sexy gun toting heroine fights blood spewing flesh eating crazies in a walled in city. AWFULLY SIMILAR.
5. Underworld: A sexy gun toting British heroine in skintight black leather shoots a lot of people. COINCIDENCE?
6. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves: A bunch of medieval dudes on horsebacks shooting arrows into peasants. GEE… WONDER WHERE I SAW THAT BEFORE.
7. Knightriders: A bitter, withdrawn patriarch tries to start society anew by creating a Medieval setting where guys in suits of armor ride motorcycles. OKAY THIS IS JUST GETTING A LITTLE RIDICULOUS.
Okay, so that makes SEVEN movies being blatantly ripped off here, and if we go ahead and count the sequels of said films for reasons of posterity, that makes FOURTEEN movies that this flick is ripping off, which I believe maybe a 21st century record.
That in a nutshell is Doomsday, or as I like to call it, Escape from the Underworld of Scotland 28 Days Later While Battling the Resident Knightriders and Prince of Thieves Beyond Thunderdome.
Yeah Doomsday is one big rip-off, but I’ll tell you, in this day and age with
The gore is more than adequate, besides plenty of juicy bullet wounds and lots of head squishing by blunt objects, heads are severed, parts of heads are severed, hands get cut off, fingers are emancipated from their owners, ears are bit off, and eyes get popped out of their sockets. Not to mention all the people who get caught under the wheels of a speeding car and get turned into human Jackson Pollack paintings. Or the people who get filleted on industrial sized makeshift Weber grills. This flick also features the most gratuitous gimp scene since Pulp Fiction, so that is worth at least something.
Doomsday is stupid. It knows it’s stupid. It’s a blatant rip-off, yet it knows it’s a blatant rip-off. That kind of brutal honesty is sorely lacking in
If you want my advice, check this movie out at all costs. It’s many things but boring isn’t one of them. If anything you can always amuse yourself by pointing out all the movies that it rips-off from. I sure did.